2018. I'm tweeting technical stuff again. I'm talking about kubernetes and platform once again. I'm also tweeting about blockchain stuff because I believe it's going to be extremely relevant for distributed systems but we'll get to that later.
I took a step back from kubernetes over the past couple years. In 2014 I was pretty adamant it was going to be the dominant platform. Once the hype machine kicked off though I got really burnt out on everything very quickly.
In some ways I missed out on an opportunity to play a key role and be part of the community but for the sake of the introvert in me I had to really take a step back and stay focused on other things.
Kubernetes is the winner now. There's no real question about that. It's going to be the thing we build on beyond the OS. And with that I feel like there's an opportunity to help with developer productivity on top of it. So I'm thinking I need to figure out what that looks like.
As much fun as it would be to do this in a sandbox or the main focus I actually think it works better in companies building products for the world. Here you get real world usage of your platform and what developers actually need.
With all that I've done with @MicroHQ I'm now floating between the strange intersection of product, engineer, sales and whatever else. Finding the role that's going to let me execute my vision for the future of PaaS is going to be tough.
And now on blockchain. It's an extremely hyped technology but one with incredible value much like the internet in the 90s. You're seeing very rudimentary use cases and early primitives being developed right now. You think it's not going to impact you but let me tell you, it will.
Blockchain is the next primitive layering on the internet itself. Where the internet provided transfer of information. Blockchain will provide storage and transfer of value. I'm probably not saying anything you haven't heard before but it's important to understand.
Applications built solely on the internet required centralised services for storage of state and large scale processing of information. With more compute and storage moving to the edge We're going to see blockchain as the bridging layer between the edge and cloud.
As the blockchain primitives become accessible to developers we're going to start to see application architecture fundamentally change and the way in which we're redefining the underlying infrastructure is going to play a major role as an enabler of that.
Blockchain will not replace databases but it is going to solve distributed transactions for us in a huge way. It's going to provide a way to hand ownership of data back to the user. It's going to move us away from client-server app architectures in a big way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why i Love Haskell

Welcome to New Forum

Feature Branching and GitHub